Hi,

  Today I observed a strange behavior I had never seen in Great-crested Flycatchers, though I suspect many will say you have seen this:

  Driving along a sandy road I thought I was seeing pine cones in the road.  As I got closer I discovered they were flycatchers, bellies hunkered down into the sand with their beaks wide open and pointing skyward.  The first time I saw it I thought maybe something was wrong.  It appeared to be a hatchyear bird.  Abruptly it flew up to the tree.  There were 3 other flycatchers in the area.

  I drove on around, probably a 1/2 mile from this group of flycatchers and found FOUR more, all on the ground like little pine cones, doing exactly the same thing.  Bellies in the sand, beaks open and pointing straight upward.  One by one each of them flew up to a nearby tree.  Then one came back down and did the same thing again.  One flycatcher was gathering a bug near by on the ground, flew up and soon the little one did the same, flew up to the tree.

  My impression is that they were begging yet they were silent and totally motionless while on the ground.  I wonder if anyone else has ever seen this!

  Meret Wilson
  Ormond Beach, FL