-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Susan Dawkins
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2006 12:46 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: question about SI

> Colleagues,
>
> I have been trying to get an SI program started here for several years,
> without much success. I now have a professor who is willing to give it a
> try and a prospective SI leader. The question I have is that the professor
> has asked the leader to grade tests and homework. My first instinct is
> that
> this should not be a part of the SI relationship, although I have no
> concrete data to back this up. The SI leader said he is willing to grade
> on
> his own time, but I am still not sure that this is a sound pedagogical
> move. I need to tap into your collective wisdom on this. Any references to
> SI literature would be very helpful here, as I reviewed all of the info I
> have and have not come up with an answer to this question, or those below:
> What are the pros and cons of having an SI leader grade homework and
> tests?
> Can you share your experiences w/ starting an SI program?
> The professor thinks he is getting a TA at no cost to his department. What
> are the similarities and differences between an SI leader and a TA?
>
> Thanks,
> Roberta Schotka
> NADE'08 conference co-chair
> Head, Peer Tutoring
> Northeastern University Libraries, 242 SL
> (617) 373-2150 voice
> (617) 373-2529 fax

> browser to

I guess my question would be:  What about FERPA?  My understanding is that
students aren't supposed to see other students' grades.  Even if the SI
leader is not enrolled in the course, I think it's definitely an ethical
issue, if not a legal issue.

Susan Dawkins
Academic Support Center
University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown