Hi Roberta,

It is like the saying goes, "If it walks like a duck, talks like a
duck, then it's a teacher's aide." ; v )

The key is maintaining the "perception" that the SI leader is a
fellow student, not a part of the instructional staff. If this
perception is lost, the dynamics between the students and SI leader
changes drastically. Only the bravest students dare raise their hands
in class when the instructor says, "Does anyone have any questions?"
while most are comfortable telling a fellow student that they don't
understand the material.

Imagine a tall fence with students on one side and faculty on the
other. The SI leader, like Humpty Dumpty, must sit on the fence,
while trying to appear that he or she is standing on the students'
side. It is very easy to upset the SI leader's balance by having them
lead lectures, grade exam, or do anything that would only occur on
the instruction side.

Frank

On 16 Jul 2006 at 0:01, LRNASST-L automatic digest system wrote:

> There is 1 message totalling 92 lines in this issue.

> Topics of the day:
>
>   1. question about SI

web browser to

> Date:    Sat, 15 Jul 2006 14:06:27 -0700
> From:    Lisa Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: question about SI
>
> Hello Roberta,
> =20
> I agree with many of our other colleagues who have already
responded; SI's =
> should not engage in grading functions to support the faculty
member.  One =
> of the things that I recall being stressed in the SI training in
Kansas =
> City was how the potential for SI to be successful hinged upon the
=
> voluntary and informal (yet structured) nature of these "peer"
facilitated =
> review sessions .  If students see the SI Leader as someone with
influence =
> over their grades then the dynamics of the SI Leader - Student
relationship=
>  change. =20
> =20
> Now having said that, our campus did allow one SI Leader last
semester to =
> also be a grader for a course and I have to say that SI Leader
struggled =
> with attendance all semester long (even quiz/exam reviews were
poorly =
> attended).  Having had that experience, I would not support an SI
Leader =
> being a grader in the future.
> =20
> Hope this information helped,
> ~Lisa
> =20
> Lisa Cooper
> Director, Educational Resource Center
> University of the Pacific
> Bannister Hall - First Floor
> 3601 Pacific Avenue
> Stockton, CA 95211
> (209) 946-2458 (Administrative Assistant)
> (209) 946-3218 (Direct Line)
> (209) 946-2278 ( FAX)
> http://www.pacific.edu/education/ERC
> =20
> "Service is the rent we pay for
> the privilege of living on this earth."
>                                    -Shirley Chisholm

> Colleagues,
>
> I have been trying to get an SI program started here for several
years,
> without much success. I now have a professor who is willing to give

it a
> try and a prospective SI leader. The question I have is that the
professor
> has asked the leader to grade tests and homework. My first instinct

is =
> that
> this should not be a part of the SI relationship, although I have
no
> concrete data to back this up. The SI leader said he is willing to
grade =
> on
> his own time, but I am still not sure that this is a sound
pedagogical
> move. I need to tap into your collective wisdom on this. Any
references to
> SI literature would be very helpful here, as I reviewed all of the
info I
> have and have not come up with an answer to this question, or those

below:
> What are the pros and cons of having an SI leader grade homework
and =
> tests?
> Can you share your experiences w/ starting an SI program?
> The professor thinks he is getting a TA at no cost to his
department. What
> are the similarities and differences between an SI leader and a TA?
>
> Thanks,
> Roberta Schotka
> NADE'08 conference co-chair
> Head, Peer Tutoring
> Northeastern University Libraries, 242 SL
> (617) 373-2150 voice
> (617) 373-2529 fax

web =
> browser to

web browser to

> End of LRNASST-L Digest - 14 Jul 2006 to 15 Jul 2006 (#2006-181)

Frank Henderson
Tutorial and Supplemental Instruction Coordinator
Hartnell Community College

Phone	831 755-6738
Fax   	831 759-6023