.Allen stresses close faculty-student interaction, which Spearman says is
essential at an institution educating many students who didn't necessarily
go to the best high schools and whose talents may not be fully developed. By
giving students and faculty members phones, he plans to send a message about
expectations. "It's 8 at night and a student is having trouble with an
assignment I've given. I might be at soccer practice with my kid, but I can
text back to say 'You need to check this page of your book,' " he says.

"I want students learning the whole time they are awake," Spearman says.
"The pervasiveness of cell phones may make this possible."

From article Campus Cells: http://insidehighered.com/news/2006/07/13/cells

Article intro:

Campus Cells

About 500 students at Wake Forest University this fall will have a special
cell phone/personal digital assistant that will have a feature that could be
a professor's dream: The cell will automatically be linked to students'
course meeting times, so it will be silenced during class hours.

Students at Montclair State University, in New Jersey, and several other
institutions will have a new feature as well - for those nights when
students end up taking that long walk to a parking lot or off-campus
apartment when it's late enough to feel a little uncomfortable. Students
will call a number, punch in a code, and indicate how long it will take to
reach their destinations. Then campus police will track students' progress
until they again use their code to deactivate. If students don't deactivate
in time, police officers will call the person and, if he or she doesn't
answer, will then show up to find out what's going on.