Roberta,
THere is a lot of research and literature available through UMKC and
their SI leader training program.  When I particiapted in training it
was stressed over and over again that the SI should not provide
grades/evaluate students for the reasons already mentioned.  An SI is
NOT a TA---faculty know what a TA is and have to be educated on what an
SI does.  Perhaps the SI list, I think it is SI-NET will have some good
archieves.  Otherwise I would call UM Kansas City at the SI program and
ask for their help.  If the faculty member won't do it without the
grading component, I would be very reluctant to put SI in that class.
K. Sack