Marylen,
I wonder if it would be possible to create timeblocks for SI after
certain courses that are tied to the course registration.  We have SI in
our developmental math courses, and have permanent scheduled SI time
built into the registration for the course.  Like most SI programs, we
still have problems with attendance, particularly on lovely late spring
days, but we feel that the scheduling demonstrates institutional (and
math department) commitment to SI for this course.

Just my two cents.

Shevawn Eaton, Ph.D.
Director, ACCESS/ESP
Northern Illinois University