HELPING COLLEGE FRESHMEN MAKE THE LEAP

Houston Chronicle

Helping College Freshmen Make The Leap
Houston Chronicle
Matthew Tresaugue

July 19, 2006

Jul. 19--Alyssa Nye aced her final English course in high school without
reading any of the required texts.

College, she learned almost immediately, is different. On her first day as a
University of Houston student, Nye received two overnight reading
assignments, totaling more than 150 pages.

"I'm getting used to the reading," she said. "I turn everything off and do
the reading. It's good to learn that now."

Nye is one of about 150 incoming freshmen getting a head start at the
university this summer.

Through a new five-week program, known as "The Jump," they are taking two
courses required of all UH students -- English composition and either
American history or U.S. government -- for the price of one.

Resume article:

http://www.brainconnection.com/SITEWare/2006/07/19/krtbn/0000-0802-HO-0719-H
elping-college-freshmen-make-the-leap.php3