Priscilla,

I do not work in a writing or tutoring situation, but I do run
virtually paper-free freshman comp classes. All drafts are submitted to
me electronically as Word or Rich Text files. I then review the papers
electronically. I do all of this through WebCT, but in the past I have
used email in the same manner. I don't "edit" my students' papers,
rather I use the Comments function in Word to provide guidance. I
highlight the text upon which each comment focuses and then the Comments
button - this places my text on the right-hand side of the page (the
placement can vary depending upon which program and which version you
are using) and each comment is numbered and lines connect the comment to
the highlighted text.

If I give a student examples of a more effective rewrite or a few
samples of correct grammar/punctuation, I also place the details in the
comments rather than in the body of their paper. However, most of my
comments focus on asking questions or explaining concerns in order to
help the students in their revision process. Finally, at the end of the
paper, I write a message to the student in which I stress the strengths
of their draft and summarize my primary comments or concerns. When I
save the document, I add my initials at the end of the file name. This
way, we both have electronic copies of the original draft and the
reviewed draft with my comments. A version of this type of protocol
could help you with the quality assurance/best practices concerns in
that you could see what the tutors were doing.

Hope this helps,
Cathleen

Cathleen Carosella
Reading & Study Skills Coordinator
Managing Editor, Clio
CASA - KT G30
(260) 481-0541

I'd appreciate the benefit of your experience as we evaluate the
effectiveness of students using computers while being tutored on
writing
assignments.
Please take a few minutes to respond to the following 3 questions.

1)       What's your protocol for the use of computers while tutors
work
with students during the writing process?
2)       How do you ensure your tutors are following the prescribed
protocol?
3)       How would you address a breach in protocol?

Thanks.
Priscilla

Priscilla Kanet
Tutor Coordinator,