We do not have too much trouble attracting and keeping tutors at our
center (Minneapolis Community/Technical College).  I notice we pay
more--$8.25 per hour.  At a two year school, of course, you have to
recruit students earlier in their educations than at a university.

In addition to regular entreaties to faculty to submit names, we also
suggest to our "best" tutees that they might become tutors.  We
especially are successful getting ESOL tutors that way, as well as
physiology and nursing.

Hope that helps,

Linda Russell

Active Learning Advocate
Learning Center Coordinator
Minneapolis Community and Technical College
(612)659-6413

Sorry, I do not have any magic suggestions.  We have the same problem.
I am hoping that others of you will share your efforts to recruit and
retain tutors.  Two reported drawbacks to recruitment for us is pay
($6.50) and other work and family responsibilities.  We seem to keep
those we recruit.  The problem is getting them.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth P. Lee, Associate Dean/Assistant Professor
Academic Learning Center
Baton Rouge Community College
5310 Florida Blvd.
Baton Rouge, LA 70806