We've addressed this in our Writing Center, and now with wireless access
in our building, more students come into the center with their laptops
ready.  Some of our writing consultants (tutors) are very uncomfortable
with this; others don't mind.

I just had a session with a graduating senior and a 26-page humanities
paper.  He came with a printout, which we worked from, but b/c he had
his laptop there, he was more willing to go in and fix the sentence,
adjust the meaning, right there.  Not putting it off until later.  And I
could mark (in green) on his paper copy where the problem was (he had
way too many passives, for one), the starting point for our discussion
and then his edits.

There's a lot to be said for that access to making the changes right
away.  So many times we are concerned about students being too passive
in a session.  A computer with their paper on it would motivate them to
be more active and be more efficient at the same time.

And if you have both a paper copy and the computer, you can go back and
forth, or just stick to one medium.

So that's one side of the debate!

So my protocol is pretty loose.  Bring both paper and the laptop.

Susie

Suzanne Robertshaw, tutor coordinator
Johnson Student Resource Center (TJ's)
Rollins College   1000 Holt Ave. 2613
Winter Park, FL  32789   USA
(office) 407 646-2652   (fax) 407 646-2245
http://www.rollins.edu/tpj/tutoring   [log in to unmask]

"Knowledge emerges only through invention and reinvention,  through
the restless, impatient, continuing, hopeful inquiry men pursue in
the world, with the world, and with each other." ~Paulo Freire

"Good writing is clear thinking made visible." ~Bill Wheeler

>>> Priscilla Kanet <[log in to unmask]> 7/21/2006 2:15 pm >>>
I'd appreciate the benefit of your experience as we evaluate the
effectiveness of students using computers while being tutored on
writing
assignments.
Please take a few minutes to respond to the following 3 questions.

1)       What's your protocol for the use of computers while tutors
work
with students during the writing process?
2)       How do you ensure your tutors are following the prescribed
protocol?
3)       How would you address a breach in protocol?

Thanks.
Priscilla

Priscilla Kanet
Tutor Coordinator,