Hi Sharon:
This is a bit of kismet; I'm culling through some primers for website
material regarding differentiated instruction now.  Two texts I've found
helpful are:

"Differentiation through Learning Styles and Memory," by Marilee
Sprenger (Corwin, 2003). A good basic approach that privileges auditory,
visual, and kinesthetic as the defining areas.  It also has a good
primer on memory in the context of these areas; I've supplemented some
of the ideas from the memory chapter with material from "The Oxford
Handbook of Memory," which offers a bit more theory.

"Differentiated Instructional Strategies: One Size Doesn't Fit All," by
Galye Gregory and Carolyn Chapman (Corwin, 2002).  Chapter 5 offers a
good basic discussion of various techniques.

I've also looked at "How People Learn," as I find myself drifting into
brain-based [sic] research. (http://newton.nap.edu/html/howpeople1/)

If you find some more good stuff, can you email me?

Thanks,
Andrew Delohery, Director
The Learning Center
Quinnipiac University