Ken-

I'm not Glenda, but our tutors do this. We use a method I learned from
Darlene Buck at Northern Michigan University, borrowed from the medical
professions. The acronym is "SOAPIE." The tutors put their SOAPIE notes
right into TutorTrack, where they are available to me, to the same tutor
at a future session, and to another tutor if the student is assigned to
see someone else (other tutors can't see them unless the student appears
in their schedules). This has been well-received by the tutors, and I am
very happy with the system as well.

Here's an excerpt from my tutor handbook explaining the method:

S = Subjective data: Write what a student tells you that is pertinent to
the tutoring session.
Example: "Jason reports having worked up to number 19 and says he always
has trouble with story problems in math."
O = Objective data: Make observations about the student. Example: "His
tone indicated frustration and he was frowning. He had a partially
completed assignment and math book with him. Concentration was good."
A = Assessment: Record what you make of the situation.
Example: "Jason was prepared and trying but still frustrated."
P = Plan: Record what you planned to do in the session.
Example: "He agreed it might help if he talked his way through a story
problem while I observed and then offered suggestions."
I = Intervention: Record what you actually did to help a student.
Example: "We spent most of the session on the story problems. I
encouraged him to slow down and read it out loud (multiple modalities)."
E = Evaluation: Describe how the session went.
Example: "Jason was able to do a few simple story problems on his own by
the end of the hour. We agreed that he would attempt the remaining
problems before his next session. He said tutoring was helpful."

Lynell Williams
UNC Wilmington