Good questions Bruce!

That is why I put up my simple model for all SOCNET to see... and
comment on.  I had many of those questions myself.

http://www.orgnet.com/mideast.html

In the mideast example I am really showing 2 networks concurrently --
one of alliance or support and the other of repulsion or "sworn enemy."
You see both visible links[positive ties drawn in gray] and invisible
links that only have repelling forces.  The networks are both active at
the same time, and therefore the whole graph experiences both
attraction and repulsion concurrently -- based on topology -- who is
connected to whom and how.

As you notice there are no lines/links/edges between those who are
enemies -- just a repulsive force.  The "invisible" repulsion makes
sense to me because it does not let nodes who are identified enemies
settle close to each other in the simple spring embedder algorithm --
move alQaida near the US, EU or Israel and you will see the nodes
quickly push apart, dragging their linked neighbors [those with visible
edges] with them.

Iraq and USA was an interesting problem for me -- I did not know
whether to state it as a positive or negative relationship. One can
argue both sides, and a third -- it is both!   It is probably not an OR
relationship but an AND relationship -- alliance and repulsion at the
same time.  I will make that update now and see what happens.

OK, I just made the change and watched the network self-organize... the
overall pattern has not changed much, though Iraq is consistently
pushed closer to Russia as a result.

Valdis