On a structural approach to negative and positive relations and its effect  of  Interstate militarized conflict see :
Papers:
Zeev Maoz 2006. Network Polarization, Network Interdependence, and International Conflict, 1816-2002. Journal of Peace Research, 43(4): 391-411 at: http://jpr.sagepub.com/cgi/reprint/43/4/391

Z. Maoz. R. Kuperman, L. Terris, and I.  Talmud. International Relations: A Network Approach." In New Directions for International Relations, Edited by A. Mintz and B. Russett. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2004 (with Z. Maoz. R. Kuperman, and L. Terris). http://soc.haifa.ac.il/~talmud/evolution.pdf

Z. Maoz. R. Kuperman, L. Terris, and I.  Talmud.  "Structural Equivalence and International Conflict, 1816-2000: A Social Networks Analysis of Dyadic Affinities and Conflict."  Journal of Conflict Resolution (2006, forthcoming),  http://soc.haifa.ac.il/~talmud/strucequiv.pdf

Z. Maoz. R. Kuperman, L. Terris, and I.  Talmud." The Enemy of my Enemy: The Effects of Indirect Enmity Relations on Direct Dyadic Relations,"   the Journal of Politics   (2007, forthcoming)

Data Sets:
1. Structural Equivalence and International Conflict (JCR, 2006)
http://psfaculty.ucdavis.edu/zmaoz/jcr2006.zip

2. Network Polarization, Network Interdependence, and International Conflict, 1816-2002 (JPR, 2006)
http://psfaculty.ucdavis.edu/zmaoz/jpr2006.dta

3.  Dyadic Militarized Interstate Disputes Dataset at:
http://psfaculty.ucdavis.edu/zmaoz/dyadmid.html

4. Mideast data sets: Documentation and data sets on Israeli-Egyptian Interstate Militarized Disputes, Israeli-Syrian Interstate Militarized Disputes; Israeli-Jordanian Interstate Militarized Disputes; Arab Nonstate Aggression and Israeli Limited Uses of Force
http://psfaculty.ucdavis.edu/zmaoz/arabisrhost.htm

Ilan Talmud, Ph.D.
Senior Lecturer
Department of Sociology and Anthropology,\
University of Haifa
Phones: 972-4--8240992 (direct)
972-4-8240995 / 8249505 (secretaries)
Fax: 972-4-8240819