Happy 4th of July everyone. Today I witnessed something I've never
seen before. I was sitting in my car at the Pelican Landing Shopping
Center here in Naples as I waited for my friend to come out of
Albertson's. A few parking spaces over from me was a Jeep with a
ragtop (for lack of a better word) with all of the windows open. Why?
Apparently, there was a dog in there, a beagle to be precise. As I
watched, two Gray Kingbirds that had been flycatching from a nearby
Laurel Oak started to divebomb the dog. They actually flew through
the open windows of the Jeep to try to get at the dog. Shortly after,
a woman came walking her dog on a leash nearby and the Gray Kingbirds
attacked that dog as well. The woman tried shooing the kingbirds away
by flailing her one free hand. The whole scene was reminiscent of
something out of "The Birds". Apparently, the Gray Kingbirds were
nesting nearby and thus the reason for all of the attacks. Also
today, while sitting at my kitchen table, I heard the local badboy
Blue Jays causing a tremendous ruckus outside during the heat of the
day. The last time I heard this, I found that they were irritated
because a Yellow Ratsnake was slithering around the base of the Live
Oak outside my door. This time, the perp was a Cooper's Hawk that was
standing his ground while several of the jays attacked from all
sides. I ran to grab my camera but by the time I returned, the Blue
Jays had succeeded in ousting the Coop from the yard. That's about as
much excitement that we've had around here during these summer
doldrums. . . .