Recently, I worked on a due diligence report for a City looking to site a
100 million gallon per year ethanol plant. In the course of that project, I
received a specific list of energy requirements for a 350 day/year operation
at 24-hrs/day.

The following is a summary: Heat content are commonly listed values, and the
energy requirements are provided by the plant owner.

    - 285,714 gals ethanol per day
      - 7130 scfm of Natural gas
      - 14 MW/hr electrical

    - 3412 BTU's per KW/hr
      - 1031 BTU's per SCFM of Natural gas
      - 78120 BTU,s per gallon of ethanol

 The process produces 2.234-E4 MMBTU/day (MMBTU = million BTU) of ethanol
and consumes:

1.0585-E4 MMBTU/day of natural gas
1.605-E4 MMBTU/day of electrical power
For a total of 2.6635-E4 MMBTU/day

As you can see, at this point the process is already negative in energy. Add
to that the 33% electrical generation efficiency and the total energy
required becomes 5.9221-E4 MMBTU/day.

The ration of energy in to energy out equals 2.65:1 This does not included
the energy to farm the corn or pump the gas and process makeup water. Nor
does it included the 60 million dollar investment in the plant construction.

I don' t believe that the ethanol proponents are being totally honest in
their position.