A quotation more apt than you think
Ironically, the following popped up in the quotation of the day program to which I am subscribed.  It's from Tacitus:

Latin - auferre trucidare rapere falsis nominibus imperium, atque ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant

Here is the English:
- to plunder, to slaughter, to steal, these things they misname empire; and where they make a wilderness, they call it peace

                      --Best

                                   Norm
Norm Holland

Ah, Norm...

Which reminds me, of what Freud said to poor Abraham Kardiner. So don't be too self-congratulatory. We do indeed have to know history in order not be condemned to relive it:

"Monroe Myer and I once discussed with Freud the suicides of two analysts in Vienna. His eyes twinkling, he commented, 'Well, the day will soon come when psychoanalysis will be considered a legitimate cause of death.' (page 70)

Kardiner, A. (1977). My Analysis with Freud. New York, W. W. Norton & Company.

I'm sure you all know the book, Kardiner's history, as well as Freud's. So you know that little Ambraham was made to walk miles in the snow and say Kaddish for his dead mother, something to which Freud was -- in classic style -- in inimitable classical Freudian style, absolutely insensitive. Read Kardiner's book. Read his memoirs, now completely released. And see what you don't want to see.

Best,

Denis

PS: I know that this will appear, as all your messages appear, under your own name. To repeat: I know of no other discussion list on the Internet where individual posts all have one or two person's name on the. Only yours.

Denis M. Donovan, M.D., M.Ed., F.A.P.S.
Medical Director, 1983 - 2006
The Children's Center for Developmental Psychiatry
St. Petersburg, Florida

Mail: P.O Box 47576
   St. Petersburg, FL 33743-7576
Phone:     727-641-8905