Dear BEST'ers,

It came to my attention yesterday that many BEST members may not
have realized that we are able to post ratings on the Florida
House of Representatives "100 Ideas" page. It is also possible to
post comments on the ideas. I strongly encourage BEST members to
visit the site, rate ideas that have relevance for development of
bioenergy and sustainable technologies, and post comments on
issues that you have knowledge and interest.

Dr. Humphrey's posting on the site regarding conversion of
traditional wastewater plants into methane generating anaerobic
digesters is copied below.

Here's the site: http://www.100ideas.org/ideas.php

Jason

Waste-to-Energy from Municipal Sewage

"Convene a task force of agency staff and corporate/university
scientists and engineers to develop a proposal for replacing
municipal sewage treatment plants with anaerobic digesters that
convert sewage to methane to fire electricity-generation plants.
There is no technological constraint to doing so, only legal,
regulatory, and capital constraints. This new approach, done at
large scale, would transform huge sources of pollution to huge
sources of energy to fuel our economy. The technology is beginning
to be applied to dairy farms and livestock feedlots in Florida
(see for example
http://rgp.ufl.edu/publications/explore/v11n2/extract3.html), but
the much bigger problem/opportunity is the manure of human
municipalities."
national movement that is backed by the incoming Speaker of the
Florida House.

Dr. Stephen R. Humphrey, Director of Academic Programs, School of
Natural Resources and Environment, Box 116455, 103 Black Hall,
University of Florida Gainesville, FL  32611-6455  USA Tel.
352-392-9230, Fax 352-392-9748  <http://snre.ufl.edu/>
http://snre.ufl.edu

--
Jason Evans
Ph.D. Candidate, Interdisciplinary Ecology