http://www.sbs.utexas.edu/hornsby/

This wastewater plant has long been one of the most innovative and
forward-looking in the United States. Anaerobic digestion is used
for energy production, biosolids are combined with local
landscaping waste to produce fertilizer, and wastewater is reused
for a variety of beneficial purposes - including in a receiving
wetland that is one of the most prolific birding areas in the
nation. The research partnership between the city of Austin and
the University of Texas is a great model for innovative
partnerships between GRU and UF in the wastewater and energy
future of the Gainesville area.

The site is a little coy about the aquatic plants that are now
used in the greenhouse "polishing" system, but I know that water
hyacinths were originally used in this system to efficiently
achieve tertiary wastewater standards and provide additional
feedstock for anaerobic digestion and biosolids composting. I'm
going to contact the facility to confirm what plant cultures are
currently being used.

Jason

--
Jason Evans
Ph.D. Candidate, Interdisciplinary Ecology