Los Angeles California has operated a 400 plus MGD waste water treatment
plant for 30 plus years fully powered by the methane from its anaerobic
digesters. It has no connection to the electrical grid and uses propane for
emergency power fuel supply. Your research should indicate, however, that
there is a MGD size cut-point before anaerobic digestion becomes practical.
This has been the main reason why more anaerobic digesters are not sighted
in Florida. Also, they are more difficult to operate and can be quite
odorous when operated improperly.

Sending raw sewage directly to an anaerobic digester has other issues that
FDEP may have concerns about.

Kim Zoltek, Director of Engineering for GRU's Water and Wastewater Division
and wife of Dr. John Zoltek of Black Hall, can provide details concerning
the L.A. plant, as well as, why GRU does not operate an anaerobic digester
in their system. Dr. Zoltek has many years of research data and former PhD
candidates that have researched various plants for polishing wastewater
effluents.

UF's Dr. David P. Chynoweth, Professor of Applied and Environmental
Microbiology from the Agricultural and Biological Engineering Dept. (part of
IFAS) is a world renowned expert concerning methogenisis. All three of these
named people could provide valuable insights into the goals of BEST-L.

What you seek to learn and implement is not altogether new.