Hi Ryan,

Jenny Preece, from the University of Maryland, has done a lot of work on
lurkers in online communities:

Nonnecke, B. & Preece, J. (2003) Silent Participants: Getting to Know
Lurkers Better. In C. Leug & D. Fisher (Eds.) From /Usenet to CoWebs:
Interacting with Social Information Spaces. /Springer-Verlag: Amsterdam,
Holland. (in press)

Nonnecke, B. & Preece, J. (2001)  Why Lurkers Lurk. AMCIS Conference,
Boston, June
http://snowhite.cis.uoguelph.ca/~nonnecke/research/whylurk.pdf

Nonnecke, B. and Preece, J. (2000) Lurker Demographics: Counting the
Silent. Proceedings of CHI'2000, Hague, The Netherlands, 73-80.

cheers,
- Fernanda Viegas

_
<http://www.ifsm.umbc.edu/%7Epreece/fullcv.htm#Refereed%20Conference%20Publications>