Here is a network graph of a 3000+ on-line community.  The community is
on a platform that allows private messages/chats/web page visits
between members.  Any member can read the public messages/announcements
posted by topic.  Nodes are linked if they exchanged > 5 messages [of
any type via the membership system] in a specific period.   As you can
see many people joined and 'use' the system but have not corresponded
with anyone directly yet... ~ 40% of this network are lurkers/isolates.

http://orgnet.com/OnlineCommunity2.pdf    [4MB PDF]

Valdis