>more to the point
>where do we get software that will do that?

>i love visualizations :-)

Dan McFarland and I have been working for several years on some software to
do dynamic net viz.

http://sonia.stanford.edu/

some examples:

http://sonia.stanford.edu/examples/

We also just had a paper in JOSS that explains some of the methodology:

Skye Bender-deMoll and Daniel A. McFarland (2006) "The Art and Science of
Dynamic Network Visualization"  Journal of Social Structure. Volume 7,
Number 2. http://www.cmu.edu/joss/content/articles/volume7/deMollMcFarland

best,
 -skye