On 9/19/06, Bill.Richards <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Rather than asking other people to do your research, do it yourself.

"I don't read anymore; I just talk to people who have." — Dr. Tom
Malloy, University of Utah

Dr. Malloy's tongue-in-cheek comment sparked an interesting
conversation about… well… conversation. When two people have a
conversation, they act as proxies for the many ideas in their heads
which are drawn from the many things they have read. In effect, a
conversation is a many-to-many interaction that is both mediated and
moderated by the participants. The individuals catalog, sort, tag, and
filter ideas as they are drawn into the shared space of the
conversation.

http://many.corante.com/archives/2005/09/11/the_power_of_conversation.php

Email lists are for conversation; conversation IS research.  I see
nothing untoward with asking here on the list.

http://www.paulbhartzog.org
http://www.panarchy.com