Dear Marina,

Your e-mail reached my e-mail account at a time
when I had computer problems. I discover it now,
much time later.

While I have not particularly worked with the
concept of habitus, I have on the other hand
studied ego-networks of foreign students
(Erasmus). I have examined among other questions
wether there is consistency in the
characteristics of the ego networks students had
in their home country and in their new networks
in the host country. I examined wether these
distant quasi synchronic networks were
articulated in a complementary way to eachother
of if they had similar features - which would
more correspond to your habitus hypothesis.

I have written about it in:
- A. de Federico and A. Ferrand (1998) «
Comparison of network characteristics of distant
quasi-synchronic personal friendship networks »
at the conference Sunbelt XVIII and 5º European
International Conference on Social Networks,
Sitges, Spain, May 27-31, 1998.
- A.de Federico (1997) L'amitié dans le programme
ERASMUS: Une analyse de la création et durée des
relations d'amitié des boursiers Erasmus à Lille.
(Friendship in the ERASMUS program: An analysis
of the dynamics of friendship relations of
Erasmus students in Lille). Masters thesis,
supervisor Prof. A. Ferrand.

I can send you the papers if you wish and we can
of course discuss about it over the e-mail.

All the best,

Ainhoa de Federico

>Date:         Tue, 30 May 2006 14:40:25 +0200
>Sender: Social Networks Discussion Forum <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Marina Hennig <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: habitus and ego networks
>To: [log in to unmask]
>
>*****  To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org *****
>
>Dear list members,
>
>I have a student who is writing his master thesis about the habitus of
>foreign postgraduate students. We are now looking for a possibility to
>combine a qualitative study on the habitus construct with the analysis of
>ego-centered networks of the interviewees.
>
>Does anyone on the list know about relevant literature beyond the
>correlation between the habitus in terms of Pierre Bourdieu and the
>structure of ego-centered networks. Are there any indices that the
>disposition of habitus implies the building of specific ego-centered
>networks?
>
>Our hypothesis is, that the foreign postgraduate students have ego-centered
>networks, which are not necessarily connected with a certain place.
>(in German: "Enträumlichung der sozialen Gemeinschaft").
>
>Many thanks to all in advance for any refrences. We will compile the
>Best regards for all
>
>Marina Hennig
>
>--
>PD Dr. Marina Hennig
>Humboldt Universität zu Berlin
>Institut für Sozialwissenschaften
>Universitätsstr. 3b
>10117 Berlin
>E-mail: [log in to unmask]
>Tel: +49 30 2093 4345
>Fax: +49 30 2093 4347
>http://www.marinahennig.de

Ainhoa de Federico de la Rúa

Maître de Conférences - membre du Clersé-CNRS
Institut de Sociologie et d'Anthropologie
Université de Lille 1

IFRESI
2 rue des Canonniers
59000 Lille, FRANCE

Tel: +33(0)3.20.12.58.55
Fax: +33(0)3.20.12.58.31
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

CLERSÉ
http://www.univ-lille1.fr/clerse/

International Sociology
http://iss.sagepub.com/

REDES: Revista hispana para el análisis de redes sociales
http://revista-redes.rediris.es

GARES: Groupe d'analyse des Réseaux, Espaces et Structures Sociales
http://www.univ-lille1.fr/gares/