Hello,

Birding golf courses in the rain can be productive.

Late yesterday evening during a hard rain I went to our local golf course along the gulf coast at Gulf Harbors community in West Pasco.

Over 350 sandpipers were on the flooded muddy driving range. Several Cooper's Hawks would take turns swooping over the flocks keeping them in constant motion. In this flock of Least, Semipalmated Plover, Willet, Black-bellied Plover, and Short-billed Dowitcher I found a Pectoral Sandpiper.

A large group of wading birds were also present including 3 Reddish Egrets. The 36 Wood Storks and the 20 Roseate Spoonbills that accumulated there just at dark will night roost there as they usually do.

Ken Tracey
New Port Richey