---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sara van den Berg <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sep 16, 2006 4:50 PM
Subject: Re: Fwd: Middle-Class Victorian Women?
To: Discussion Group for Psychology and the Arts <[log in to unmask]>

This message was originally submitted by   [log in to unmask] tl (74 lines) ------------------
Norman Holland wrote:

> [...]
You might also review Freud's early Studies in Hysteria, which presents
a series of case studies of women suffering from hysteria.  Freud's
co-author is Breuer, but virtually all the cases included in the book
are Freud's.  Some of the women are included only in footnotes.  Most of
the women are middle-class.  The "serving wench" you allude to is
Katharina, the daughter of Freud's landlady when he was on holiday.  Her
case is one of those recorded in Studies in Hysteria.  Perhaps H.D.'s
account of her analysis with Freud would also be relevant.  In Beyond
the Pleasure Principle, Freud suggests that the trauma symptoms of WWI
soldiers are analogous to hysteria.  Both Studies in Hysteria and Beyond
the Pleasure Principle should be available in the Norton paperback
edition of the Standard Edition.

Hope this helps.  I'm sure other people can suggest more resources.

Sara van den Berg