David
I would start your lit review with the University of MN's former General
College work. There is a monograph on the history of Developmental Education
published through CRDEUL (Center for Research on Developmental Education and
Urban Literacy).

--
Brenda Tiefenbruck
Director, Mathematics Resource Center (MaRC)