Louisiana State University pays beginning tutors 50 cents per hour over
beginning student wages, and students can earn a 50 cent increase per year
after completing CRLA training.  They max out at $8 per hour.

Saundra

Saundra McGuire, Ph.D.
Director, Center for Academic Success
Adj. Professor, Department of Chemistry
B31 Coates Hall
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
225.578.6749 phone
225.578.2696 fax
www.cas.lsu.edu
http://appl003.lsu.edu/slas/cas.nsf/$Content/Saundra

             Kate Jakobson
             <jakobsonk@KIRTLA
             ND.EDU>                                                    To
             Sent by: Open             [log in to unmask]
             Forum for                                                  cc
             Learning
             Assistance                                            Subject
             Professionals             Tutor Wage Premium
             UFL.EDU>

             10/06/06 08:19 AM

             Please respond to
              Open Forum for
                 Learning
                Assistance
               Professionals
                 UFL.EDU>

Hi All:

I am being asked to justify the $1/hour premium over regular work-study
wages that I pay our peer tutors (i.e. regular work-study students are paid
MI minimum wage of $6.95/hour, I am trying to continue to pay my beginning
work-study tutors $7.95/hour).  While they seem to understand the reasons
why (increased responsibilities, etc.), our administrative team would like
to see some actual data.

Is anyone else paying their peer tutors a higher hourly wage than regular
work-study workers, and if so, could you identify your institution as 2 or
4
year?   Actual wage information is probably not necessary as it's so
dependent on location and institution, but any other information you'd like
to include would be wonderful.

As always, thank you all!

Kate

Kate Jakobson, Director