Shevawn,
We offer strategies for success courses not only to frosh, but to
what we call "continuing" students. That group includes anyone who is
not a freshman. Our target populations are students on AP, students
transitioning to upper division and students transitioning into the
university (e.g. transfer and re-entry students. But, I've gotten
final semester seniors looking ahead to grad/professional school as
well.
The course focuses on advanced learning strategies and building
independence in learning--basically learning to meet the demands and
expectations of a tier-1 research university.
Best,
Nic

>In our retention initiative here, we feel that the first year is fairly
>well saturated with support services for first year students.  We feel,
>however, that particularly for students with developmental needs, the
>transition issues from 1st year to 2nd seem to be our next barrier to
>academic success.
>I am interested to hear about any programs or initiative that have been
>developed on your campus to support the transition from first year to
>the second.  Academic programming, advising initiatives, staffing ideas
>or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks.
>

>Shevawn Eaton, Ph.D.
>Director, ACCESS/ESP
>Northern Illinois University
>DeKalb, IL 60115
>PH: (815) 753-0581
>www.tutoring.niu.edu
>
>FAX: (815) 753-4115

>web browser to

Knowledge emerges only through invention and reinvention,  through
the restless, impatient, continuing, hopeful inquiry men pursue in
the world, with the world, and with each other. --Paolo Freire

Dominic (Nic) J. Voge
Study Strategies Program Coordinator
University of California, Berkeley
Student Learning Center
136 Cesar Chavez Student Center  #4260
Berkeley, CA 94720-4260

(510) 643-9278
http://slc.berkeley.edu

FALL 2006 OFFICE HOURS:
Office Hours: T 3-4;  W 4-5
Drop-in Hours W 5-6; Th 1-3
Individual Appointments W 6:30-8; TH 6-8; F 3-4