Good morning:

At Texas A&M University-Kingsville, we are exploring ways to enhance student
progression from developmental education to the core curriculum and beyond.
One possibility we are discussing is modifying the course schedule so
students could take developmental writing during the first eight weeks of a
16-week fall or spring semester and the first semester of freshman
composition during the second eight weeks of the semester.  Only students
with the strongest backgrounds (defined by ACT placement and perhaps
confirmed by Compass e-Writing) would be placed into such a program.

As an example, students with an ACT ENG of 14-18 are placed in developmental
writing in University College.  Students entering our university with an ACT
ENG of 18, e.g., would be eligible for this 8+8 program.

Does anyone have experience with such a program?  We are also going to
implement something similar for developmental algebra II --> college
algebra; however, haven't found many examples of this approach in freshman
writing.

Thanks!

Dann Brown
Dean, University College

	Once a  <http://www.pittstate.edu/> Gorilla, Always a Gorilla

Dr. Dann Brown
Dean of University College 	Texas A&M University - Kingsville
Eckhardt Hall 137
<http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&addr=MSC+206&csz=Kingsville%2C+TX
+++78363&country=us>
MSC 206
Kingsville, TX 78363
AIM:
tel:
fax:
Skype ID:
SkypeIn #:	 (361) 593-3290
<http://www.plaxo.com/click_to_call?src=jj_signature&To=(361)+593-3290&Email
(361) 593-3052

 <https://www.plaxo.com/add_me?u=559132&v0=1112611&k0=13706344> Add me to
your address book...	  <http://www.plaxo.com/signature> Want a signature
like this?

This e-mail (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL information. Dissemination of this communication to persons other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies of the e-mail and its attachments and notify the sender immediately.