I am piloting an Early Alert program this semester at our urban campus
of a community college system. I have attached a letter to our adjunct
instructors with a copy of our campus link.  Full time instructors have
an icon on their computer desktops linking to a description of the
program and an electronic form.   This form automatically sends the
information to me via e-mail and documents the information in a data
bank for longitudinal data gathering.

So far this semester, I have MANY more referrals than the number of
students actually making appointments and showing up...but this is the
first semester and we'll see where this leads.

Of the students I do see, I have had opportunities to talk to them
about balancing work, school and family and I introduce these students
to members of the learning center staff, breaking the ice for them to
make use of services.  The long-term gains are for students who swapped
a course that they are not ready to take; they swapped out of the
"at-risk" course and enrolled in a late start college success class.

Zola K. Gordy, Retention Coordinator
Teaching/Learning Center
MCC - Penn Valley
3201 Southwest Trafficway
Kansas City, MO 64111
(816) 759-4004

What better book can there be than the book of humanity?
--Cesar Chavez

>>> Marcie Carter <[log in to unmask]> 10/2/2006 12:02 pm >>>
Melissa

I am just starting to work on a similar form as an Early Alert for
Developmental Students, to encourage referrals to me for advisement
and
intervention.  If you get any responses to you personally, would you
mind sharing??

Marcie Carter
Interim Bridge Program Director
Delta College