Hi Lynell:

Carleton College has had a common reading since 1988, though I've
only been there for about 2 1/2 years.  Here's the website with the
list of books, speakers, and some discussion questions:
http://apps.carleton.edu/campus/doc/information_students/common_reading/

The director of Campus Activities in Student Life (Robin Hart
Ruthenbeck) really pulls this together.  Staff and faculty are invited
to co-facilitate, with an upperclass student, the discussion groups,
in which all first-year students participate during "new student
week."  Each group runs from about 12-15 students.

Robin Hart Ruthenbeck brings together a group of faculty and staff in
the spring to choose the book (after much discussion and debate).  It
seems to me that student co-facilitators come up with a list of
potential discussion questions, though in my brief experience, new
students and facilitators don't necessary follow those questions.
They're just meant to be a guide.

Robin can give you all the info. you could want about how she makes
this happen (she does a remarkable job).  She's at

Cheers,
Kathy

Kathy Evertz
Director, Academic Support Center
203 Scoville (B-ASC)
Carleton College
One North College St.
Northfield, MN  55057
507-646-4015

>>> "Williams, Lynell" <[log in to unmask]> 10/18/2006 9:19 AM >>>
Greetings, colleagues -
I have recently been appointed to a steering committee for a
proposed
common reading program for our freshman class that will likely be
attached in some form to our Freshman Seminar courses. If you have
such
a program in place, I would like to pick your collective brain about
similar programs at your institutions:
     - Does your common reading program have a website for support
materials for students and facilitators?
    - What is your purpose or mission statement for the
program.(and/or
learning outcomes, etc.)?
    - Who selects the annual readings, and upon what criteria are
they
selected?
    - With whom do you partner across campus?
Thank you for your time and insights.

Lynell R. Williams
Assistant Director, Student Achievement Services
University Learning Services
UNC Wilmington
601 S. College Rd. - Box 5968
Wilmington, NC 28403