We use both the ASSET and COMPASS as many of our students are at a
distance and can not access the computer version.  We require a writing
sample for all placement as we have found that neither of these tests
provides and adequate placement recommendation without a writing
sample.  If you don't use the writing sample, it is a bit like saying
on the math assessment can you state the rules but then never asking
the person to apply or demonstrate that they can.

Ron

Ronald D. Illingworth
Professor
Interior-Aleutians Campus