We considered the "stigma" issue a few years ago as we were moving to a
new location and considering a name change.  We use the department name
of Academic Tutoring which puts us at or near the top of any
alphabetical listings, as well as implied a stronger connection to
academics.  Then we decided to do our best to remove the stigma that can
be associated with tutoring.

We have worked on many levels to send the message that tutoring is for
"everyone."  We are careful to use marketing messages that are not just
aimed at the "struggling" student.  With permission from NADE, we use
their motto in our marketing materials.

It seems that some of the stigma comes from the fact that when you are
in high school, you only use tutoring when you are doing poorly in
school.  So when we are addressing groups of incoming high school
students or new freshmen we explain that in college "tutoring is for
everyone."

Kathryn Van Wagoner
Math Lab Manager
Utah Valley State College
801-863-8411

ad-van-tage   n.  A factor conducive to success.

>>> "Laurie Hazard" <[log in to unmask]> 10/31/2006 12:02 PM >>>
We have also put that stigma behind us for the most part. Admittedly
though, it took a lot of PR and work (and unfortunately, it can come
creeping back in sometimes).  Seven years ago we changed our name from
the Learning Center (I thought it brought to mind places like Sylvan
and
Kaplan) to the Academic Center for Excellence (ACE).  Students here
view
tutoring as a way to get the competitive edge, achieve academic
excellence, and ACE their courses :-).