Hi Ron,

We (Minneapolis Community & Technical College) have developed an exit
exam for both levels of our developmental reading.  Students are given
an authentic text to read, mark, etc.  They have one week to do so.
They then are given a true/false, multiple choice exam (open text) on
the material, process a portion of the text, and are asked to write a
response to a question or statement on the material.  This is all done
in class and is timed.

Our exit has undergone several revisions over the years, but the basic
format has stayed the same.  We do have different passing scores for our
two levels.

I am anxious to hear what others are doing as an exit from
developmental reading.

Kim Zernechel
Reading/Study Skills Department
Minneapolis Community & Technical College

If you have developed effective exit-testing for developmental reading
courses, please share information regarding instruments or other
strategies that have worked well in your program. We would  appreciate
any suggestions you may have.

Ron Taylor
Reading Faculty
Metropolitan Community Colleges of Kansas City
816-672-2073

browser to