Our peer tutors start at minimum wage.  Tutors earn an additional 25
cents per hour per year of experience tutoring in our center and another
50 cents per hour for CRLA certification.

If a tutor is eligible for work study, we compensate them though those
funds.  For non-work study eligible students, we compensate them though
our budget.  We have had years wherein a peer tutor has been funded by
work study, but because of CRLA certification and years of experience,
is earning a higher rate for tutoring than work study pays.  In those
cases, we have arranged with financial aid and the business office to
pay the difference from our budget.

Maura

Maura O'Connor
Coordinator of Learning Assistance Services
University of New England
11 Hills Beach Road
Biddeford, Maine  04005
207-602-2561

>>> Kate Jakobson <[log in to unmask]> 10/6/2006 9:19 AM >>>
Hi All:

I am being asked to justify the $1/hour premium over regular
work-study
wages that I pay our peer tutors (i.e. regular work-study students are
paid
MI minimum wage of $6.95/hour, I am trying to continue to pay my
beginning
work-study tutors $7.95/hour).  While they seem to understand the
reasons
why (increased responsibilities, etc.), our administrative team would
like
to see some actual data.

Is anyone else paying their peer tutors a higher hourly wage than
regular
work-study workers, and if so, could you identify your institution as 2
or 4
year?   Actual wage information is probably not necessary as it's so
dependent on location and institution, but any other information you'd
like
to include would be wonderful.

As always, thank you all!

Kate