First, thanks to all of you who've shared your work-study peer tutor wage
information.   I hope to hear from more people on Monday.

Gail, I don't think my professional tutor wage information will be of much
value to you.  We're a community college in northern Michigan, a pretty
low-income district (albeit gorgeous!), and I'm lucky to find professional
tutors at any wage.

I have 2 paraprofessionals or lead tutors.  Both have bachelor's degrees and
are paid on our parapro wage scale.  One of my lead tutors is new this year,
and at the beginning parapro rate (with 1 or 2 years experience) is paid
$13.50/hr.  My other lead tutor has been here for a few years (10 maybe?)
and also teaches math part-time, she's paid $18.50/hr as lead math tutor in
our learning center.

I think what you're doing, gathering data, is one thing you can take to your
administrative bargaining table.  I know that whenever I need or want to
change something, the first thing they ask for is data.  What's everybody
else doing, etc.  You might focus on comparable institutions, in your case
4-yr colleges, with similar populations and locations.  I'm sure others on
the list will have some great suggestions.

Hope that helps somewhat and thanks again to all of you for your
information.

Kate

Kate Jakobson, Director
Tutoring and Student Success