Mary,
Thanks for the helpful reply.
I am not sure how we will come out on this. The research department is
looking for standardized measures, but the reading faculty is more
concerned with arriving at an approach that will most effectively
reflect what students can do with textbook reading. Sounds like your
interests are parallel to ours.
We use Hennings Reading with Meaning which has a sociology passage and
questions at the end of the book, so we can certainly look at that
approach and see how it works.
Thanks.
Ron

>>> Mary Weller <[log in to unmask]> 10/6/2006 2:05 pm >>>
Ron,
    We use a similar process as the one mentioned by Minneapolis Comm.
& Tech College.  We are a community college and we use the Sociology
Chapter that's included with the Langan text, Reading and Study Skills,
for testing the content of that chapter.  It is a t/f, multiple/choice,
short answer, matching test - which the students take in class - NOT
open book!  But, we go over the material in class for a few weeks. There
is a "take-home" essay question, as well.  I am convinced this is the
appropriate exit exam since it matches the program goals - ability to
read a college textbook!  My personal belief is that your exit exam has
to measure your program/course goals unless you are required or feel the
need to gather "department" measures, then you might consider a
standardized assessment, like the COMPASS, Nelson Denny, etc.

Mary Weller
Reading and Study Skills Instructor
Kellogg Community College
450 North Avenue
Battle Creek, MI  49017-3397
269-965-3931 X2286

>>> [log in to unmask] 10/6/2006 11:42 AM >>>
If you have developed effective exit-testing for developmental reading
courses, please share information regarding instruments or other
strategies that have worked well in your program. We would  appreciate
any suggestions you may have.

Ron Taylor
Reading Faculty
Metropolitan Community Colleges of Kansas City
816-672-2073

browser to

browser to