-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Roderick Robins
Sent: Friday, October 13, 2006 9:36 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Looking for a list of study activities

Hello,

I'm doing two 1 hour workshops on Study Skills...the first will focus on the
basics of time management, note-taking, and textbook reading...and the
second on test taking. These workshops are targeted to our TRiO SSS
students.

I know I'm covering a lot of ground with the first workshop, but I'm hoping
that in addition to covering some basics with these topics I'll also
generate some one-on-one follow-up time with students.

I'm going to begin by having them fill out the "Learners Weekly Planner"
found on the Study Guides and Strategies Web site, and encourage them to use
the 2 hour of study for every hour of class guideline when filling out the
grid.

When I do intakes with students for our program one of the questions on
their intake form has to do with number of hours in class and number of
hours spent studying. I'm often amazed at how few hours of study time is
listed...and...the looks I get when suggesting the two hour
guideline...which I'm very careful to explain along with the variables that
go into it. So many of them are used to studying for tests just prior to the
test and starting papers late...and don't do all the extras (e.g. daily
review of notes and reading, weekly course reviews, etc.). By doing the
extras...I think most could get closer to the two for one formula, which
finally gets me to the reason for this post.

Does anyone have a list of comprehensive study activities they would be
willing to share with me? I thought I'd ask before trying to brainstorm a
list of my own...as I really want students to leave the workshop with ideas
that they perhaps haven't thought of (e.g. browsing journals in the library
for a paper topic weeks before it's actually due).

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Rod RobinsTRIO Director
Bay de Noc Community College*\*2001 North Lincoln Road*\*Escanaba, Michigan
49829-2511*\*906-786-5802
ext.1274*\*[log in to unmask]*\*www.baycollege.edu
browser to