1.  Does your institution have mandatory placement for reading? YES
2.  What assessment do you use for reading placement? THE NELSON DENNY
Do you do a follow-up assessment to ensure proper placement? YES- THE
FIRST DAY OF OUR READING COURSE, WE GIVE A DIFFERENT TYPE OF TEST TO THE
STUDENTS WHO PLACED INTO THE COURSE, AND STUDENTS CAN TEST OUT.
HOWEVER, WE HAVE A LONG TRACK RECORD FOR THE NELSON DENNY WITH A FAIR
AMOUNT OF DATA ON OUR PLACEMENT, SO RELATIVELY FEW STUDENTS TEST OUT.
THE SCORES OF THE TWO TESTS CORRELATE HIGHLY.
3.  Do you  require a certain reading placement score as a prerequisite
for
any core curriculum courses? STUDENTS WHO PLACE INTO OUR READING COURSE
ARE NOT PERMITTED TO TAKE OUR FRESHMAN HISTORY COURSE AT THE SAME TIME.

Having said all of this, we will be investigating the use of COMPASS or
ACCUPLACER for our reading/writing/math placement mechanism, so I'm sure
I will be asking LISTSERV about their experience with those two
instruments soon!

Faye Ross
Director, Learning & Advising Center
Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs