-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Connie Gilmore
Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 7:13 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Reading placement/prerequisites

1.  Does your institution have mandatory placement for reading? 2.  What
assessment do you use for reading placement?  Do you do a follow-up
assessment to ensure proper placement? 3.  Do you  require a certain
reading placement score as a prerequisite for any core curriculum
courses?

Our institution is examining our reading placement procedures.  We are
currently using COMPASS, and although we have mandatory assessment, we
do not have mandatory placement.  At this time, we do not have any
courses that require a certain reading placement as a prerequisite,
although we do for composition.  I would appreciate any feedback you
could give me.

Connie Gilmore
Essential Skills Program
Coordinator/Faculty