Just reinforcement that you are on the right track

-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Deaton, Fred
Sent: Friday, October 06, 2006 8:07 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Early Warning Intervention

We have an "At-Risk Referral" process for faculty and staff to report
students to us in the counseling office and we track them down and see
what is going on. Most problems are attendance, academic, or personal in
nature. I presented this Referral system at both the TN-NADE conference
and the Memphis In May Student Affairs Conference in 2005.

My first experience in 'REFERRAL' was 25 years ago. I was a part of a
three member team to design a referral card for students to take to the
counseling office. The process was a work of art! But it didn't work.

Later there was a Referral system at the present college I work at that
required a form (the teacher filled out a form (3 parts) to be filled
out by hand, and we filled out a form (3 parts) reporting to 2-3-4
people. It didn't work.

The first one depended on the teacher to give the card to the student
and the student to actually do something with the card. Neither would
make it work. The other one was a form happy process that killed itself
with process and paper (and in triplicate!). The filled out referral
forms would sit on a supervisor's desk for days into weeks before
contact, and that made contact impossible or useless. Plus we found the
department heads and administrators buried the forms and not give them
to the faculty.

In late 2004, the counseling office took over the referral process
(thank God) from the administrators, and decided to fix it.

We looked at why it didn't work and what to do to make it work.  We all
know the answer of why it didn't work. The system had too much process,
procedure (pomp and circumstance), wait time, and paper!

We changed it up and made it a smooth seamless DIRECT process. The
faculty member contacts us anyway possible! The record keeping is our
responsibility. We keep a log of contacts. We put a point of service
plan (from the teacher to the counselor) in effect. The faculty would
call, e-mail, stop by the office, catch us in the hall, eat lunch with
us, and give us names for referral.

How has it worked, GREAT, and even better than great. We have doubled
the number of referrals each semester year. This fall alone, as of
yesterday (5th week), we have made 265 referral contacts for the
faculty.

The method of contact of a student has changed as well. We call, write,
use cell numbers, pagers, e-mail (home and school), and leave notes in
other classes.

We threw out the report form in triple, and now we opt to email a
follow-up to the faculty member about the action taken and the response.

To sum it up, it works and is useful!

We do still have a form online, and in our office for the one or two
printed form addicted faculty members and administrators.

Fred Deaton, LPC-MHSP