Melissa -

Attached is the first request I sent to faculty soliciting Academic
Alerts as well as the Alert form.  If you can't open the attachment,
just let me know.

I send both an e-mail and a letter to all faculty.  When responses
arrive, we turn alerts into letters - one copy sent to the student and
another copy to the advisor.  [Before we sent a copy to students, some
students would say that they had "no idea" their professors were
concerned about them.]  Advisors of first-year students are particularly
diligent about following up with students.  My assistant keeps a master
record of these alerts.

You will see that I encourage faculty to send their input in whatever
form they prefer.  Most send e-mails using the form, but a few just call
me.  We receive several hundred Alerts.  I have already sent the first
request.  The second request will go out shortly after midterms.  Some
faculty say they like to have a deadline, so I always put a deadline on
each solicitation.  However, I encourage faculty to send them at any
time.

Faye Ross

Director, Learning and Advising Center
Assistant Dean, Academic Affairs