Angela Huettl wrote:

My colleague and I have developed a learning community that links
developmental reading and basic writing. I am happy to say that the
community is working well; the least prepared students on our campus are
successfully attaining the goals of the courses (for the most part,) and
we are thoroughly enjoying the camaraderie of working together to serve
the needs of these students. Our next challenge is to prepare assessment
instruments for the learning community and its effect on student success
and retention. Clearly, a long-term comparison of GPAs and retention
rates of those who are part of the learning community and those who are
not will be a good measure, but we also need some short term instruments
to prove that the work we are doing with these students is making a
difference. I would appreciate your advice and experiences about this
issue.

A colleague of mine suggests this article
http://www.evergreen.edu/washcenter/resources/acl/iid.html

Elizabeth Dewey

Teaching/Learning Center, Delta College

University Center, MI 48710