   I've been doing an essay assignment where the students are to write
either about a person who served as a mentor for them or about their
being a mentor themselves. I use clips of three different movies to
introduce the paper so I can show them in one class period. If you
want to show them at one sitting, you might consider the following
scenes:

   /Mr. Holland's Opus/: the scene with the clarinet player when she
finally can play the piece they have been working on.

   /Remember the Titans/: when the coach awakens the players at 3:00
a.m. to run to the Gettysburg battlefield. Be sure to run it one more
scene.

   /Akeelah and the Bee/: the scene where Akeelah's mentor explains
why they are reading essays instead of just memorizing words.

   /Pay It Forward/: the opening scene where the kids come into the
classroom and the teacher explains the special assignment for the year.

   Hopefully, this will help you.

   Patti

   Patricia R. Eney
Learning Assistance Lecturer