At Manchester College (Indiana), with a student body of about 1,100, all
the faculty know each other.  Our faculty have not used a form for Early
Alert very well.  They say they can never find the hard copy, the web
version takes too long to find, etc.  We simply established an email
address "[log in to unmask]" for them to send a message to the EA
committee chair's support staff.  She then posts it as a word document
on a shared drive that only the committee members have access to.

Each committee member (directors of res. life, counseling, learning
support, multicultural affairs, and an athletics representative) looks
at the lists the day before our weekly meeting and adds any info we have
on the students (new to the list and continuing).

Faculty know that we want to receive any referrals and update info.
They also know that the support staff member will respond to their
referral with a couple questions (if they haven't already provided the
answers): What have you already done in an attempt to help the student?
What do you suggest might help the student?  How much feedback, if any,
do you want about any actions the Early Alert committee might take?

We now have a lot more specific information for our meetings.  We are
much more efficient than in the past and relationships with faculty and
staff have improved with this attitude of cooperation.  The committee
doesn't get names just dumped on us and faculty do  not feel that they
have just sent a referral into a black hole.  Faculty have taken on more
responsibility to work with students (so they can answer the questions).
They also know that action has been taken and that not all issues can be
remedied.

Denise L.S. Howe, PhD

Director of Learning Support Services

Manchester College