Hello,

I'm doing two 1 hour workshops on Study Skills...the first will focus on the basics of time management, note-taking, and textbook reading...and the second on test taking. These workshops are targeted to our TRiO SSS students.

I know I'm covering a lot of ground with the first workshop, but I'm hoping that in addition to covering some basics with these topics I'll also generate some one-on-one follow-up time with students.

I'm going to begin by having them fill out the "Learners Weekly Planner" found on the Study Guides and Strategies Web site, and encourage them to use the 2 hour of study for every hour of class guideline when filling out the grid.

When I do intakes with students for our program one of the questions on their intake form has to do with number of hours in class and number of hours spent studying. I'm often amazed at how few hours of study time is listed...and...the looks I get when suggesting the two hour guideline...which I'm very careful to explain along with the variables that go into it. So many of them are used to studying for tests just prior to the test and starting papers late...and don't do all the extras (e.g. daily review of notes and reading, weekly course reviews, etc.). By doing the extras...I think most could get closer to the two for one formula, which finally gets me to the reason for this post.

Does anyone have a list of comprehensive study activities they would be willing to share with me? I thought I'd ask before trying to brainstorm a list of my own...as I really want students to leave the workshop with ideas that they perhaps haven't thought of (e.g. browsing journals in the library for a paper topic weeks before it's actually due).

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Rod RobinsTRIO Director
Bay de Noc Community College*\*2001 North Lincoln Road*\*Escanaba, Michigan 49829-2511*\*906-786-5802 ext.1274*\*[log in to unmask]*\*www.baycollege.edu