well, there are still flaws...found this fascinating bit in the new
scientist feedback column...go to: http://labs.google.com/sets (to
view the google sets page referred to below)

...now, for a HUGE laugh and help understanding, start the following
list (enter these exact terms):

1. mow lawn
2. do laundry
3. buy groceries

then select a 'set' - and for those of you who don't bother to do
this for the entertainment factor alone, i'll tell you what it adds:
"mail anthrax"

...and my own fascinating discovery: enter 3 terms: sleep, drink, eat
....and you'd expect other living items, right? what comes next on
the list is: reproduce, Kunming Restaurants (yes, an ad for a
restaurant...hmmm, so sets to improve ad network reliability??)
-dave

At 08:50 AM 10/1/2006, Scott, John wrote:

>Barry Wellman recently discovered a possible network algorithm in
>Google. Under 'More' on the Google search page you can find 'Google
>Labs', and under that is 'Google Sets'. Google sets takes the first two
>items in a series and grows it into a network of connections. It does
>this through Google searches on the items.
>
>For example, Barry input 'Barry Wellman' and 'Beverley Wellman'. Google
>responded with the following network:
>
>Barry Wellman
>Ronald S Burt
>Alain Degenne
>John Scott
>Nan Lin
>
>Those of us in Barry's Google set had a brief discussion about what the
>algorithm might be and whether there were any social network analysis
>applications of the search tool. Our best guess was that the algorithm
>was a search on the starter items that looked at a frequency count of
>words appearing in the searches before choosing the next search item.
>Crucial for this particular set seems to be book purchasing choices
>through Amazon. Searches on the names come up with Amazon and similar
>pages that have lots of built in cross-references such as pages recently
>consulted, people who bought X also bought Y, if you liked A, then you
>will like B, and so on.
>
>It looks as if you need to have the two starter names connected in some
>way that Google will find easily in order to generate a meaningful set.
>Inputting two loosely connected names seems to produce a large and
>apparently meaningless set. It would be interesting to know the actual
>search algorithm to see if it is coming up with n-cliques, clusters, or
>whatever,. It might then be a method for generating some sociometric
>data. Are there any suggestions out there about what the algorithm is
>and how it might be used?
>
>To get you thinking, here are a couple of other Google-generated
>networks.
>
>Inputting the names of the editors of the ASR and the AJS (Jerry Jacobs
>and Andrew Abbott) generated this list:
>
>Jerry Jacobs
>Andrew Abbott
>Wayne C Booth
>Charles Tilly
>Erving Goffman
>Robert R Alford
>Robert K Yin
>
>What are the links there? And are they sociometrically relevant?
>
>Starting the list with INSNA and the ASA generated a list of drug and
>airline names, suggesting that some search items become crucial pivots -
>because of their frequency score - in determining the direction of the
>network: ASA shifts the network in the direction of drugs, while SAS
>shifts it in the direction of airlines. (ASA is, apparently, a generic
>brand name for aspirin in some countries). Here is the full set:
>
>INSNA
>ASA
>acetylsalicylic acid
>salicylsalicylic acid
> [...]

David Carpe
Principal and Founder, Clew, LLC (http://www.clew.us)
E: [log in to unmask]
W: 781.674.2539
M: 781.883.5487
Skype: dcarpe

***Internet Email Confidentiality Footer***
If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or
responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not
copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should
destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply email.
Please advise immediately if you or your employer do not consent to
Internet email for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and
other information in this message that do not relate to the official
business of my firm shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.