From: Social Networks Discussion Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Shawn Neidorf
Sent: Friday, October 06, 2006 12:52 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: position generators vs. name generators

Good morning,

  I am looking for general advice and references regarding the benefits and
drawbacks of name generators and position generators in the collection of
network data. More specifically, I am looking to collect workers' network
data at various points over the course of their careers; I am interested in
the "quality" and "quantity" of their networks over time and the networks'
relation to their career outcomes.

  I will ask questions directly about how the respondents got each job along
their career path, but I also want to ask about people with whom respondents
discussed career aspirations, frustrations, etc. Am I better off using a
name-generating question or a position-generating question? Or both? Does
one or the other work better when asking for retrospective network data?

  I have to allow for the possibility that some of the people with whom
respondents discuss their careers may be in other businesses than the one in
which the respondents work. But for the ones in the business, it would help
to be able to assess each network member's relative power in the field.

  I have not come across any literature specifically addressing the pros and
cons of name and position generators; if someone knows of any, I'd be please
to learn of it. And if there are any "rules of thumb," I'd like to know
those, too.

  Thanks much,

  Shawn Neidorf
  University of Illinois at Chicago